<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Jerseys 

I saw on TV the other day that T.O.’s Eagles jersey has become the No. 1 selling NFL jersey. I thought that was pretty cool stuff to hear because I was used to hearing the usual suspects at the top of the list: Vick, Urlacher, Favre, etc. I have two NFL jerseys: a green Donovan McNabb my fiancée bought for me, Christmas of 2002; and I have a white Steelers jersey (Antwan Randel El, #82) that I picked up from the going-out-of-business sale at the Downtown Pittsburgh Lazarus-Macys. I considered buying an Urlacher because they were practically giving them away, but instead I bought a Minnesota Timberwolves jersey (#10, Wally Sczerbiak), which I regret: I’m just not cool enough to wear NBA stuff. As tempted as I am to join the crowd and get a T.O. jersey, I can’t right now because I’m pretty dirt poor. In any case, if I had money I’d probably get a white Kearse jersey right now because I like to march to the beat of my own drummer.



It has always amazed me to see just how popular NFL apparel is: go to a game and see how many people are wearing it and contrast that with other sports. Hockey and baseball jerseys are fairly pricey, so most people can’t afford them, though I’ve always noticed that the NHL always beats out MLB. NBA? I don’t believe that anyone can wear NBA apparel unless they are under the age of 21. But NFL gear is everywhere: whenever I watch an Eagles game I see a sea of green jerseys.

I always love seeing who guys select for their jerseys. I wanted a McNabb and I got one, because I admire McNabb for his leadership and talent. In all of the time I’ve been an Eagles fan, I think I can safely say that Donovan has been the best field general this team has had. (Jim McMahon did a good job back in ’91.) I see lots of people wear #22’s for Duce, because he’s a real blue-collar, down-in-the-trenches sort of guy.

I see a lot of #20’s and the like for the defense. I’ve always noticed with the Eagles that jerseys for guys belonging to the D have always out-sold jerseys for the guys on offense. During the days of Reggie White and Jerome Brown during the late 80’s and early 90’s, you’d see more #99’s and #92’s at the game than anyone else.

Who’s jersey do you have?

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?