<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 13, 2004

Playoffs! 

Here are my thoughts on how the playoffs will unfold. First the AFC...

AFC
Wildcard
(3) New England over (6) Jacksonville, 34-3
(5) New York Jets over (4) Baltimore, 17-14

Divisional
(2) Kansas City over (3) New England, 27-23
(1) Indianapolis over (5) New York Jets, 41-14

AFC Championship
(2) Kansas City over (1) Indianapolis, 34-27

The Patriots have expirience and skill and they'll make short work of the green Jags. The Jets-Ravens matchup is intruiging. To me, it is a lot like last year's Ravens-Titans game, where the wildcard team was clearly superior to the division-winner. Again I think that the Jets are better than the Ravens, who are a one-trick pony kind of team.

In round two I like the Chiefs in a bit of an upset. I think having to go on the road will be disconcerting for the Patriots and I think that they will struggle against the Chiefs, who will be a lot tougher on defense in 2004. I think the Colts will be difficult to beat at home under the dome. I don't see the Jets having much success, especially given that this will be their second road game in a row.

I like the Chiefs in the AFC title game because I think that Dick Vermeil will have these guys fired up to avenge last season's defeat. The Chiefs will be in their first Super Bowl since Super Bowl IV.

NFC

Wildcard
(3) Philadelphia over (6) St. Louis, 31-21
(4) Atlanta over (5) Carolina, 20-13

Divisional
(3) Philadelphia over (2) Minnesota, 28-20
(1) Seattle over (4) Atlanta, 34-17

NFC Championship
(3) Philadelphia over (1) Seattle, 19-16

It seems fitting that the Eagles and Rams will tangle in the playoffs, and even more fitting to see the Eagles beat them at home. I think the Eagles are just as explosive as the Rams on offense and a little better on defense. Homefield might be decisive factor. Meanwhile Vick will propel the Falcons to a win over the Panthers in what will be a pretty exciting game.

In round two I see the Eagles upsetting the Vikings on the road. I don't know why, but the Eagles experience will win-out over the Vikings, who have flamed-out in the clutch before. Meanwhile, Seattle is too balanced for Vick, who can't carry the Falcons against a deep team.

Finally, in their fourth consecutive NFC title game I see the Eagles winning on the road over the Seahawks. In a word: experience.

Super Bowl XXXIX
(NFC) Philadelphia over (AFC) Kansas City, 28-24

Yeah, maybe I'm a little too optimistic, but I could see these Eagles winning it all. None of us expected last year's team to make it to the NFC title game, especially after that 0-2 start, but that is the way the NFL works: seemingly weaker teams find their pace down the stretch and come up in a big way in the playoffs because they find a way to shield their weaknesses or find themselves playing teams that can't take advantage of their flaws. (The Panthers were weak stretching the field and would have had difficulty keeping up with the Eagles offense, but the Panthers defense kept the Eagles in shackles.)

I think that the Eagles will use their superior experience to go to Jacksonville for the Super Bowl and that they'll win it all.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?