<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 02, 2004

Why the Ricky-less Dolphins will be better... 

I was stunned to see Ricky Williams retire from the game this last week. Given the fact that he has always had such a quirky personality, I guess this wasn’t much of a surprise, but I’m most interested in seeing what this does for the Dolphins. I know the fans are pissed in Miami, but they'll get over it fast. Honestly, I think this could be good news for them: few people remember it, but the Packers were actually better after they lost All-Pro wide-out Sterling Sharpe. The team’s passing attack became diversified and less reliant on one threat and Favre really flourished into a Hall of Famer. I could see that happening to the Dolphins: they could finally take the shackles off the offense and not feel compelled to hammer between the tackles all of the time. Let A.J. throw it deep. I know the Dolphins management is bitter about what happened, but I think this could be a real blessing for these guys, if they play their cards right and view this as an opportunity to become less predictable than they have been in the past.

As for Ricky, I wish him well and I hope that he’ll be alright. More than that, I hope he finds what he’s looking for in life. It obviously wasn’t football.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?